Friday, March 4, 2011

Meal of the Week- Pulled Pork Sandwiches and Sweet Potato Fries

Lest you think I'm a junk-food junkie, I will post something that is more along the lines of what we usually eat. I ripped a recipe out of the Better Homes and Gardens magazine when  I saw the words "Perfect Pulled Pork." A couple months ago, ShopRite had a great deal/coupon for a free pork shoulder. Free meat? Yes please. We picked out the largest pork shoulder we could find and then picked a recipe from the internet that had great feedback. How did it turn out? Awful. That's why when I saw this I eagerly awaited an opportunity to try this. I didn't have to wait to long and once again there was a sale. (This time it was .49 cents a pound...not too bad.) We made this recipe and it was excellent. And best of all??? Easy. So here is the meal of the week:

Pulled Pork Sandwiches and Sweet Potato Fries

Pork
5 lbs. boneless pork butt shoulder (I actually did it with a 3 lb. and used the same measurements for spices)
1 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. garlic powder (I used 3 cloves chopped garlic)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup water

Combine all seasonings in a small bowl and rub evenly over roast. Place meat in a 6-quart slow cooker. Add water. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or on HIGH for 4-5 hours or until pork is very tender.

Place pork on large cutting board or platter and let rest for 10-15 minutes. Pull, slice or chop to serve. Serve in buns.

Sweet potatoes

I don't really have a recipe that I follow for these. Just peel and cut sweet potatoes into fry-size pieces. Drizzle with olive oil and dust with black pepper.
Put in a 425 degree oven for 30 minutes.
They should be crispy on the outside and the smaller fries should be brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment