Thursday, October 6, 2011

Boring Stuff and Beef Stew

Thanks to normalcy, this week has gone by so fast. (and I'm glad!) Autumn is starting to set in with temps in the 40's and 50's, bringing a crisp, cool inhale. Our old radiators are starting to turn on and the clinking and clanging are rather comforting. This is the weather where a hot steamy cup of apple cider, tea, or coffee is most appreciated. I love waking up with a cold nose and warm body. (i know that's weird, but whatevs, we all have are "things") Here's what we've been up to lately:

-switching out all my summer/ spring clothes with my autumn/winter clothes. (we share one VERY small closet, so things we aren't currently wearing gets stored in suitcases) I love pulling out big chunky sweaters, scarves and boots. it's like saying hello to some old buddies.

- making lots of different soups and stews. this is soooo the perfect weather for that. so far the crock pot beef stew has been the best.

- worrying constantly about my outside herbs. I check on them every day and worry about them surviving the night since it gets to about freezing. I brought them inside one day to see if they liked the inside temp better, but the basil-diva shriveled right away.

-oh, an update on my terrariums (while we're on the subject of plants) 2 dead. 1 flourishing.

-remember that black coffee table I bought for $10 at Goodwill? Well, after a trip to home depot to pick out paint and buy supplies, we're in the process of sanding it down. (i'm so excited to paint it!)

- modern family. how funny is that show? it makes me laugh constantly.

- sewing projects! i've been going through my closet and finding the things I bought on a whim for a good price and have started altering them so I can actually wear them. it's amazing how fast you can get things done when you don't have to sew by hand!

Here's a recipe I have to share with you. My husband went bonkers over it and kept saying how delicious it was. (and I kept thinking, "how easy was that!!") Seriously, the recipe took like 15 minutes of hands-on time. That's my kind of meal.

Crock Pot Beef Stew








To make this stew you will need:


1 1/2- 2 lbs of beef cut into 1/2 inch chunks (I actually only had 1.32 lbs and it worked fine)
1/3 cup tomato paste
2 TB balsamic vinegar
2 TB all purpose flour
salt and pepper
1 pound (about 4-6 medium sized) of white or red potatoes, well scrubbed and cut into 1 inch chunks
1 pound (about 2) of medium onions  cut into 1 inch chunks
about 10 baby carrots
6 cloves of garlic, smashed
1 beef bullion
1 1/2 cup water
2 bay leaves


Place beef in slow cooker and spread tomato paste on top. Pour vinegar on top and sprinkle with the flour. Season generously with salt and pepper. Place potatoes, onions, carrots, garlic and bay leaves other on top. Pour water over everything and place bullion cube on top. If you can, stir an hour or so before it's ready. Cook on high for 5 hours (or low for 8)


You can have it plain or with rice, or like we had it, with some egg noodles. Hope you try it- it's delicious!






Happy Weekend All!

1 comment:

  1. You have no idea how much I wish I had time to make this for supper tonight! It looks so good, and is the perfect meal for a cold day like today!
    Hope all is well

    ReplyDelete